Did you know these myths about dyslexia?
1) Dyslexia can be tested through an intelligence test. (Not possible!)
2) Dyslexic students can't read. (Yes they can!)
3) Dyslexic students write backwards. (This can happen, but in a few cases only. Letters can be written in revers though. So this one can be a bit tricky! I think it means students don't write complete sentences and essays backwards.)
4) Students are dyslexic because of bad teaching. (Nope! Dyslexia is hereditary, not the fault of the public education system. Although, if we don't catch it early on, then those students will struggle for sure.)
5) People out grow dyslexia. (Not true!)
There is a great webpage, Classroom Indicators of Dyslexia, to check out if your not sure what characteristics to look for in your own students' learning.