Thursday, May 23, 2019

Heggerty Phonemic Awareness


If you haven't heard of Heggerty Phonemic Awarness, you really are missing out on some great phonemic awareness skills for kindergarten students and up. As a substitute teacher, I often had the oppurtunity to teach Heggerty. When I first started, I wasn't really sure if I could do it. But it is really easy, and well laid out for teachers to understand. The most confusing part are the hand gestures. Depending on the teacher, students might use different motions during Heggerty. I usually will quickly ask students, "How do you all chop up word?" Some use whole arm, some chop right into their palms, so it's good to ask to make it easier on the students on consistency.

I found a Facebook group for Heggerty Phonemic Awareness. It is great for support as a teacher. Here is an excellent video on the page to give you an idea. It uses movement and is a great way to get those kiddos to hear the sounds in words.

I hope you find the Facebook page useful! I'm sure if you check YouTube, there are also many great instructional videos to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment